Monday, March 18, 2013

Sweet family moments and new recipes :)

We had a wonderful last few weeks and I thought I'd post some highlights.  

First, I just had to share this picture of daddy's weekend crepe making.  The boys all have their special (assigned) spots.  Rex has officially moved down to a chair and Tot took his place.  They boys get SO excited when dad makes crepes!

I didn't even make them pose this way (which sometimes I admit I do!)!  They crowd around the crepes (they were all blowing on it in this picture) and almost every time the crepes don't make it to the table! This picture makes me so happy!

Next, dad started cleaning out our beehives and putting on new frames since we have two hives coming next month.  MMMMM....honey!  The boys ripped out all of the old honeycomb and then they melted it down for some beeswax.  I'm excited because I just found a recipe for a lotion bar I want to make that takes beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil! I'd also like to try lip balm...


It smells so good!

Next came the first crocuses! Now they're all dead outside and covered with snow, but they were nice for one day....spring is coming!


Dad has been doing push ups a lot and little Tot wanted to try ;) Too funny!




Now for the recipes!  My dear friend Nicole taught me to make mozzarella cheese 1 1/2 years ago and I haven't attempted it yet! Then another dear friend Jen just spurred me on with her recent success! So here were are making 30 minute cheese! Yes really - 30 minutes! and they rest of the whey can be made into riccotta!

 Just 2 gallons of milk (I used 2%).

 You add a little citric acid on top, heat to a certain temp, then add dissolved rennet and it starts separating into curds and whey (I never had a clue what Little Miss Muffet was eating until last week!).

 Then we strained it and squeezed out the whey. 


 You have to put it back into the hot whey and stretch and shape out all the lumps a few times..(skinny daddy is demonstrating - he lost 30 lbs in 2 months!)

 mmmmm....I can't wait for the tomatoes and basil to come!!!!

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know! Too much to type if no one wants it ;)

Our sweet temporary roomie Katie helping with our 3rd bath.

A few days later I wanted to try a new one that I've also been putting off - homemade tortillas! I can't find one in the stores without partially hydrogenated oil :(  So....sweet daddy again rolled for 2 1/2 hours!!! I accidentally added too much water so had to double the recipe - won't make that mistake again!





They were truly the yummiest I've ever had! I froze a bunch plain and then made these delicious crock pot refried beans to freeze bean and cheese tortillas!  I so miss refried beans since I don't eat out of a can anymore....(see this article why) and these were SOOOO easy and yummy! Yeah!


And lastly...the smell was heavenly when Dad threw some pineapple in the dehydrator..and it tasted fan-tabulous ;) 


Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment