Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papem!

Pope Francis!!!!!

So exciting!  My dear friend Jen called this afternoon - thank goodness - to say there was white smoke! I'm so thankful that my husband called off sick today and got to watch this historic event live with us!  To say we were excited is an understatement :)  

Rex went right away to their chimneys they made yesterday to change his black smoke to white smoke



We waited and waited.....finally, he emerged onto the balcony.  This was the first time I've ever watched a new pope emerge.  I really can't believe how excited I was - a few of my friends have used the word 'giddy' and I may just have to agree!


Pope Francis

I don't think he could have picked a name I love more!  Tot walked around saying 'Pope Francis, Pope Francis' :)

I decided we needed to celebrate...

 
I definitely won't be featured on 'Catholic Cuisine' for this one!  My kids loved it though!  I didn't even wait for the cake to cool so the words melted right in!

I referred to a biblical typeology a few posts ago about the pope as the head of the church and have since learned more - from my wonderful husband of course :)  I want to share it with those of you know don't know it as I didn't....so I'm going to hand over the keys here to that wonderful husband...

In the Old Testament, Isaiah 22:20-24... there is a series of verses that describe an unfaithful servant of the king of Israel, and  how that servant is going to be removed and a faithful servant of the king (and of God) will be put in his place.  What is interesting is that the faithful servant, Eliakim, will receive the keys of the kingdomWhat he opens, no one shall shut, and what he shuts, no one shall open.  If you read Matthew 16:19 (where Jesus is giving Peter the keys of the kingdom) it reads almost exactly the same way.

The piece of historical background (which I learned from Scott Hahn) that ties these two passages together is very compelling.  In ancient Israel, during the time of the kings, the king would have a court of royal ministers.  Being that it was ancient Israel, of course they would have 12 ministers, one from each tribe.  However, just like many of the kingdoms of their day, there was one prime minister, who was over and above the rest.  When the king would leave, it was the prime minister who was given the keys to the kingdom, and was left in charge, until the king returned.  

The Jews of Jesus' time would have known the reference that Jesus was making when He gave the keys of the Kingdom to Peter.  He was making Peter the prime minister, and his Vicar, until Jesus would return.  That is what the papacy is.... it is the office of Prime Minister to the Kingdom of God, the leader of God's Kingdom on Earth, the Church.  What he opens, no one shall shut, and what he shuts, no one shall open.  

There is so much misunderstanding about what Catholics believe the papacy to be.  Ultimately, it's the Holy Spirit who is guiding the Church.  However, if you look at the number of Christian denominations in the world, some 30,000, it becomes clear that a Vicar of Christ is needed to keep unity.  Each Christian church would claim to have the Holy Spirit as their guide.  So, why is the papacy targeted for it's claim to be led by the Holy Spirit, when every other denomination is making the same claim?  We need a visible, audible, tangible, living head for the visible, audible, tangible and living Church.  Thanks be to God that he left us a prime minister to lead us until Jesus returns at the end of time. 

Yes, I couldn't have said it better than that!  Thanks daddy :) Pretty awesome, huh?!  Love it!  

Pope Francis, we'll be praying for you everyday...for you to be a humble servant, to have courage and be filled with God's grace to lead us all faithfully.

Habemus Papem!

No comments:

Post a Comment