Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Life in 2nd grade...

I'm going to try over the next week or so to FINALLY show some pictures of what each child has been up to!  These are pictures all the way back to October that I never got to blog about....but here goes :)

Here's some things our Captain has been up to...

First, science!  Science has been so much fun around here.  It's always something that I put off, then when we do it, it's so easy and so much fun!  We're using Real Science Odyssey - Earth and Space this year.  Here we are learning 'if air has mass':



 Here's Captain stirring his fudge (I don't know why the picture didn't come out) that he had to make to see how igneous rock is from magma.



 We turned that fudge into St Nicholas's feast day fudge!
It was VERY yummy!

(some scavengers licking the bowl clean!)

Since I'm on St Nicholas' day...here's the boys making their little St Nicholas':





Here's we find him very often during the day :)  I can barely get enough books weekly for him to read! I took a picture of him with these books because I was so (almost) shocked that he finished all of these in about 2 days! 

We made a lapbook about Mr Poppers Penguins after reading the book .  I found it at Confessions of a Homeschooler.

Last month we studied South America and he made a very nice map. We studied a lot about the animals and watched some youtube videos about the Amazon.


We're doing the "getting to know the world's greatest artists" study from confessions of a homeschooler also.  I really like it.  Here we were studying Jackson Pollack.

 Pollack was a little crazy (as a lot of them seem to be). The boys loved using sticks, eggbeaters, whisks, anything to do the splatter painting...

 Now if only we could sell this one from $150 million....anyone, anyone....

 ...a little fall fun recess...

Studying Van Gogh (this is the puzzle that is going in our greatest artists lapbook that we'll finish at the end of the year)
... putting together his mini books about Van Gogh
 I'm trying to add some fun games in every week. Esp. math games...he loves these...here's a telling time bingo from Oriental Trading
 Painting a model airplane...
 Over Christmas break we decided to end our South America study by making a rainforest diorama. (He only agreed over break since he didn't realize we were doing 'school')!!


It turned out really cute....with the different layers of the rainforest.

Here's the most darling prayer book that he made for religion class.  It came out of our lesson plans. I laid out tons of prayer cards and he picked out which ones were the best for the prayers on each card. He cut them out and then I laminated it all.  He tries to read it once a day (usually at the end of my 3-3:30 mommy prayer time/kids quiet time.

 love this one... :)


And the last thing that I took pictures of for him were these snakes we made from our history, Story of the World.  We read about Sinbad and the valley of snakes.  One activity was making these snakes from paper plates.



That's all for him!  I'm so happy to finally post a bunch of those pictures that I've had for awhile!!!  My Rex is next!!!

Off to the pro-life March in DC this weekend!  Pray for us and for the pro-life cause!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment