Friday, October 26, 2012

I love science!

It's official...I love science! I could have cared less about it back when I was in school and now I'm fascinated by it.  I remember my mom always saying the same thing about herself.  Whenever we'd go to a museum growing up, she'd always want to stop and read everything....and we'd just want to keep walking.  Well, I guess maybe I'm officially grown up because now I'm so interested in all of it...science, history...  I love it!  I love being a homeschool momma. I feel like I'm going to know so much after years of homeschooling.  I can't believe what I've learned so far and our oldest is only in 2nd grade!

So this year we're using Real Science Odyssey - Earth and Space.  A whole year dedicated to earth and space.  Their curriculum is so hands on - it's all labs and so much fun!  I always look a week or two ahead and see what their recommended books for the lesson are and search the Erie County library database and put them on hold.  How wonderful that the library will do that for you and all for free! They send them from libraries all around and I just pick them up here - awesome!  The books really help them get a handle on the information even better!

Here are some pictures of our two labs this week.

For our first lab, we were studying 'what's inside the earth?'.  We had to make a pizza, which was the earth sliced in half.  The white cheese was the mantle, the yellow cheese (which would have worked better if I had cheddar, I only had colby jack) was the outer core and the tomato was the inner core.  Yum, Yum.  Then we filled out our corresponding lab sheets.




Comparing it to our Ms. Frizzle book ' Inside the Earth'...


Our second lab was about rocks and minerals.  Dad nor I could even remember the difference between them.  Just a little cheese helped us to :)


The top three circles (I found some cheddar cheese by then!) were the minerals (pure substances) and the bottom three were the rocks (minerals mixed together)!  Love it!  The littles just wanted to eat the minerals and rocks :)


..and this was him this morning writing in his nature journal. This morning we watched the combine cutting the soybeans across the street...so that's what his entry was about.


And that's our science week!

No comments:

Post a Comment